The major objective of the project regards the usage of species distribution modeling tools in order to analyze the patterns of endemism in the South-Eastern Carpathians.
The specific objectives are:
O1. To complete the database for endemic plant taxa distribution in the South-Eastern Carpathians by carrying documenting visits at herbariums in Ukraine, Hungary and Romania, surveying the literature from all the Carpathian countries (Romania, Slovakia, Poland, Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia) and field sampling;
O2. To analyze the patterns of endemism in postglacial period through species distribution modeling in order to identify highly suitable stable habitats across time, possible candidates for historical refugias;
O3. To optimize spatial conservation strategies through the use of species distribution modeling, landcover, geologic and climatic data in current and future climate change scenarios;
O4. To identify the biogeographic barriers and of main biogeographic area clusters from the South-Eastern Carpathians based on the distribution of endemic plant taxa.
- Finalizing the database comprising endemic plant taxa distribution in the South-Eastern Carpathians by critically analyzing the existing database and improving it through field sampling, herbarium (Romania, Hungary, Serbia, Poland and Ukraine) and literature surveys. The database will also include photo-documentation of all the herbarium collections visited, as well as macro photography of most of the endemic plant taxa from the South-Eastern Carpathians, which will finally be used in publishing a monograph regarding the endemism in the South-Eastern Carpathian Mountains.
- Attending at least two International Conferences with biogeography profile to present the obtained results of the research activity from the project.
- Compiling the results for Postglacial species distribution modeling of endemic taxa for the South-Eastern Carpathians and preparing a manuscript to be submitted to Ecography, Journal of Biogeography or similar impact factor journal.
- Compiling the results for spatial conservation optimization of protected areas in the South-Eastern Carpathians and preparing a manuscript to be submitted to Biodiversity & Conservation or similar impact factor journal.
- Compiling the results for clustering analysis and biogeographic barriers delimitation in the South-Eastern Carpathians and preparing a manuscript to be submitted to Flora or similar impact factor journal.